Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Not Your Bag

So I forgot to mention my little luggage mix-up while on vacation. The roommies let me borrow a small suitcase to take on the trip. It's a nice bright blue color, quite easy to recognize at the baggage claim, or so we thought...we saw the suitcase and I yelled at GuyRoommate to grab it. Then we stood and waited and waited for his bag to come through. Once we had it (not quite a 5 minute wait) we moved on to the rental car area and waited and waited to get our car. After we got the keys we headed outside, tossed our bags in the car and waited and waited in line to leave the airport. It was during that wait that the kind folks at Southwest called to inform us I had the wrong suitcase. As we sat in line I hopped out of the car and checked the trunk - sure enough, I had the wrong bag. We told them as soon as we could get through the rental car exit line we'd swing back by and drop off the wrong suitcase and get mine. When I walked in the baggage office I saw my suitcase, which was in every way identical to the one I had snagged off the conveyor belt. I chatted with the Southwest ladies, us all laughing about how I grabbed the wrong bag, how identical the bags were, and how we were glad the mistake was caught so quickly.

And that's when I became slightly annoyed. One of the Southwest ladies mentioned that the bag's owner saw us grab her suitcase. Now if I saw someone take my suitcase I'd be hurdling small children (they'd have to be really small) and shoving old people to ensure someone didn't walk off with my shit. And if you remember, we stood around and waited a few minutes on our other bag before we even left the baggage claim area. Would it have been that hard to walk over and say something? I think not. Thanks you lazy bitch for wasting our time. Even though I was in and out pretty quick, security made the gang move the car, so I had to stand on the sidewalk while they circled back around to get me. At least we hadn't actually started our 3 hour car ride, right?

1 comment:

Erin said...

Something similar happened to me once, only I was the one that saw someone else with my bag. Her suitcase that matched mine hadn't come off the belt yet, but it was the same pattern as another suitcase she was carrying so I didn't totally think she was trying to steal my bag or anything. I approached her and told her I thought she had my bag, she checked the tag and I got my bag back. Seriously, not hard.