Sunday, November 23, 2008

Wow

I just don't even know where to begin with my feelings on this one. I was at lunch the other day with a friend, and a story came up about tech support. He was dealing with a server issue and ended up calling Microsoft's tech support. As soon as the tech support representative answered, he hung up, simply because it was a woman that answered the phone. He called back, got a guy, and was happy. I was appalled by his actions, and he explained that the last two times he's had to call for help and spoke with women, they weren't able to solve the problem. He knew that he'd run into a tough situation, and he didn't feel like wasting his time talking to a woman when he'd just have to call back. I just couldn't believe the words coming out of his mouth. As a female in the IT industry, I felt like I had been stabbed in the heart. Never before have someone's words made me feel so worthless. I don't even know if I can put into words how crushed I feel. It's like he's taken my livelihood and made it feel so pointless. Replaying the conversation brings tears to my eyes and sickens my stomach. Now I realize that's his opinion and he's quite entitled to it, but I just have a hard time swallowing it. Moreover, I...I...augh! I can't even get words out - the little Kim in my mind feels so upset she's just standing there, fists clenched, screaming and crying all at the same time. And it hurts so much more coming from a friend and a coworker. A coworker!

*Update* - So of course I've been thinking and thinking about this. I think I figured out that it bothers me so much because I feel like he must not respect me professionally. And if he lacks respect for me in the workplace, how can he have any for me outside of it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, just wow. I sat here for a few minutes with different things running through my mind and all I can come up with in the end is just wow. And I'm really glad I don't know the toolbag because as a woman working in IT that is about the most idiotic thing I've heard in while.