Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Nomophobia

Just received this month's issue of Wired magazine in the mail. I've got to be honest, I love this magazine. My subscription first started as a gift from a friend, but I had to continue it on my own when the gift ran out. I really do love this magazine. Each month they have a little section called "Jargon Watch". One of this month's words is nomophobia, which is short for no-mobile phobia. The magazine states that:
"it's the anxiety produced by losing cell phone contact, for lack of coverages or power. A recent survey in the UK estimates that half of its citizens are afflicted. The condition is said to be as stressful as a root canal."
Now, I've never had a root canal, but (and I've even said it on here) that I am lost without my cell phone. I've left it at home a few times when I've run out the door, and there's a little part of me that worries if I should turn around and grab it. What if I have car trouble? What if I need help? What if someone text messages me!? The only time I truly feel better when I leave it is when I've got the work phone with me. How sad am I?

No comments: