Monday, March 30, 2009

Home Sweet Not Home

So I've been living in the new place for a little more than a week now. It doesn't feel like home yet. It’s not that there’s anything wrong with the new place, or that there are any problems with my roommates, it’s just that I’m not settled yet. GirlRoommate and I were watching a movie the other night, and I told her I felt like I was on vacation. I feel that way a lot. I’m still unpacking and trying to find a place for everything, so I don’t yet have a routine with my usual stuff. That’s what makes me feel like I’m on vacation. You know what I mean…you have fewer things, the more important ones, and you get along just fine, but you don’t have those extra items that are nice but not required. I’m not upset or anything, just still working on finding my groove. I suppose it would help if I made a larger effort to unpack. I admit I’m going slowly, but there’s really no need to rush, I don’t plan on going anywhere anytime soon.

In other news, I talked to my grandmother yesterday. She’ll be going to my aunt & uncle’s house for Easter. She’s going to look at a nursing home while she’s there. I’m thinking it’s probably more of an independent living facility – Grandma doesn’t need any medical care right now. She’s having a harder time doing all of the stuff my grandfather did, like paying the bills, taking out the trash, things like that. She’s not happy living by herself. She didn’t seem upset on the phone, more just matter-of-fact about it all. We also talked about how much junk we’ve accumulated over the years. She’s working on cleaning out her house, getting rid of things like my grandfather’s clothes, other things she won’t use. It’s not that I never thought this day would come; it’s just hard that it’s really here.

I need to get off my butt and also put my car up for sale. If you’re curious, it’s a 2005 Ford Escape and I’m asking $8500 for it. Last summer my grandfather bought a new car, and my mom and my aunt decided that they’d first try and sell it to someone in the family. For the most part, I have the oldest car – and it’s not even that old! My grandmother can’t use it, she doesn’t drive. Not that she doesn’t like to drive, she actually doesn’t know how to. She never learned to drive; Grandpa took her everywhere she needed to go. And now she relies on friends if she needs to go somewhere. Her birthday was this past weekend. I hate that I missed it. I won’t see her again until the beginning of May, when we have a little service for my grandfather.

No comments: