Friday, October 24, 2008

Under The Knife

Mark your calendar! The date is set! I'm not sure of the time, but I have the date set for November 10 for my tonsillectomy. The surgery is an outpatient procedure - show two hours before, leave one hour after. I will have to have someone stay with me for the first 24 hours. The next week is a liquid diet accompanied by liquid antibiotics and liquid narcotics. Week #2 is a soft diet. Woohoo!!

I must say, the appointment really did go well. It was quick, but incredibly informative and thorough. She discussed how things would go, the importance of why I should get them out. Did you know that your tonsils can play into sleep apnea? They touch together and block off your airway. It was funny, as soon as she looked in my mouth she exclaimed, "Why do you still have them!" I've been asking myself the same thing for years! And I have asked doctors about it before. One flat out said no, I should keep them because taking them out could cause more harm than good. The other two doctors seemed to have no opinion. Thanks for me making me suffer, jerkos. She also told me my overzealous tonsils could be the reason I'm so tired. My body's immune system is constantly working overtime to battle off infection, even when I think I feel well. She also said that the first week will be rough, there will be pain, but I should notice a big difference in how I feel after week 2. I'm not saying I'm excited to have the procedure done, but you know, it's going to be a good thing!

No comments: