Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Watch Your Step

There have been a few stories in the news lately about pedestrians getting killed. Now, I'm not saying those people in any way deserved what happened, but some people out there are going to get killed, and I don't know if I'll have any sympathy. I work in the downtown area, and I try and spend my lunchbreak taking walks. I just need the break to get the office and get some fresh air. Sometimes the route I pick will depend on the stoplights. Sure, I could stand here and wait for the "walk" signal to pop up, or I could just go this way and not have to wait! I admit, I do cross the street against the lights, but I look both ways first. If a car's coming, I don't go. If that car would have to slow down because of me, I just wait. Some of the streets are lined with parked cars, or you can't really see down the road because of construction fencing, so at those intersections I just wait until the sign says "walk". It just drives me nuts the people that just stomp their way out in front of a car that has a green light. Either they don't even look or apparently they just don't give a shit. I do often think of Vegas when I see something like that happen. If you've ever been to Vegas, you know what I'm talking about - those drivers will lay on the horn at you if you even so much as think about crossing the street against the light. I'm all about pedestrians having the right of way...if I've got a "walk" sign and you're making a right-hand turn, you'd damn well better wait for me to cross. But these morons just walking out, not even paying attention, your ass deserves to get hit. I'll save my sympathy for the driver!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I am making a right hand turn and someone has a walk sign, they better be fast. Pedestrians may have the right of way but they're the ones that die when there's a collision. Keep that in mind!

Kimmy said...

always make eye contact...don't expect them to see you! I totally agree, I'm just thinking that if you do see me and have the nerve to honk, oh hell no!