Saturday, September 5, 2009

Best Dog Ever


My mother called this morning to tell me she's gone. I knew this was coming...on Thursday Mom took her to the vet to get her routine shots and to ask some questions, why was she drinking so much, why does she have that odd spot on her back. The answer was a mix of diabetes and Cushing's disease. I won't go into all of the details, but after talking with the vet is was decided that regardless of what done in terms of treatment, she would still be suffering. She's the only dog I've ever had. My brother lived with a few guys right after graduating from college, and it was one of his roommates that got her. When they moved out of that house, Sable came to stay with me & Mom "just for a few weeks". She showed up infested with fleas and in heat. Mom was upset with my brother and the boys for taking such poor care of her. She did get Sable fixed, cleaned up the fleas and told him, "this is YOUR dog, not ours".

Fast forward 8 years, and while she still likes my brother, she knows knows her her mom and sissy are. I could stick my fingers in her mouth and pull out a partially eaten treat with no fear of a biting. Mom and I were the two people that could let her out to potty. Anyone else opens the door and she runs to one of us. Not anymore. Wow this hurts. I think I've cried more over this than when my grandfather died. I think it's because, with him he understood, and with her, I don't know if she did. But animals do understand more than I realize. After I hung up the phone I just laid on my bed and cried. Marco was right there with me, purring, nuzzling, and making muffins more that I've ever seen him do. Thanks kitteh, you have made mommeh feel better.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Sable! I'm glad Marco was there to help though. Funny how pets seem to have a 6th sense about that type of thing.